Saturday, April 14, 2018

Off to Germany!

Finishing up my last week at Bowling Green High School.
"Thanks, Ms. Jackson and good luck!"

While it's bittersweet to leave my students here, I am so excited to see what I have in store in Werne, Germany! While in Germany,  I am looking forward to working with students whose first language is not English. I think this is going to be such a unique experience working with students with high levels of English proficiency whose first language is not English. I'm also looking forward to immersing myself in the German culture. During this semester, I've been learning about German culture from a colleague and I can't wait to immerse and learn all about German culture! (Thanks Dr. Rose!)

While teaching English in Werne, Germany, I'm expecting to be greeted with smiling faces and students who are eager to learn. I think that while in the classroom, the students will be ready to learn about American culture and increase their English fluency by working with a native English speaker. While researching what to wear at school in Werne, I was most surprised by what the teachers wore! It's not uncommon for teachers to wear jeans everyday! It felt strange packing a stack of jeans in my suitcase! I was also surprised by how the weather looks during my trip. It looks fairly warm and nice spring weather! Walks around Werne sound lovely!

I know this experience is going to be influential in my future teaching! Learning about different cultures and bringing that knowledge and experience to my classroom will influence how and what I teach my students. I know that many students don't have the chance to travel the world, and I want to bring the world to my classroom. I'm hoping to learn some classroom management techniques while in the classrooms in Germany, and bring back language teaching techniques that will help me better teach my future students.

Auf wiedersehen, Bowling Green! Hallo, Germany!

1 comment:

  1. Such an exciting adventure. Sight see as much as you can and always be safe!

    ReplyDelete